BAREFOOT CONTESSA’S SPRING GREEN MASCARPONE RISOTTO
- 1 1/2 tablespoons good extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts
- 1 cup chopped fennel
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 3 – 4 cups simmering chicken stock
- 1 pound thin asparagus (cut diagonally in 1-1/2 inch lengths)
- 10 ounces frozen peas, defrosted
- 1/2 lemon juice
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- Heat the oil and butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the leeks and fennel and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, until tender. Add the rice and stir for a minute to coat with the vegetables, oil, and butter. Add the white wine and simmer over low heat, stirring constantly, until most of the wine has been absorbed.
- Add the chicken stock, 2 ladles at a time, stirring almost constantly and waiting for the stock to be absorbed before adding more. This process should take 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, blanch the cut asparagus in boiling, salted water for 4 to 5 minutes, until al dente.
- When the risotto has been cooking for 15 minutes, drain the asparagus and add it to the risotto with the peas, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Continue cooking and adding stock, stirring almost constantly, until the rice is tender but still firm.
- When the risotto is done, turn off the heat and stir in the mascarpone, parmigiano-reggiano and chives. Let cool a minute then serve with a sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.