Adapted slightly from the Barefoot Contessa’s Foolproof recipe.
- 4 bone-in, skin-on thighs and 4 bone-in, skin-on drumsticks
- 1 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- a small handful fresh thyme leaves
- juice of half lemon
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mustard and buttermilk. Place the chicken in the bowl. Toss to coat.
- Place the garlic, thyme, and lemon juice in a food processor and process until the garlic is finely minced. Add the breadcrumbs and olive oil, and pulse a few times to moisten the breadcrumbs. Pour the mixture into a wide, shallow bowl.
- Line a sheet pan with foil. Dip each piece of chicken into the crumb mixture. Place the chicken on the sheet pan.
- Bake the chicken for 40 minutes. Check on the chicken. If necessary cook another five minutes or until the crumbs are browned. Let rest 5 to 10 minutes before serving.